the 2022 US Open Carolina Garcia joins Ons Jabeur in the last four as he writes semi-final history


 

Garcia, the in-form 17th seed, defeated Gauff 6-3, 6-4 in Tuesday's other quarterfinal match, setting up a meeting between Jabeur and Garcia in the semifinals.

Ons Jabeur of Tunisia became the first African woman in US Open history to make it to the semifinals on Tuesday, while American teenager Coco Gauff's hopes of reaching the final four were dashed by Caroline Garcia of France.

In July, Jabeur made history when she became the first African-American woman to compete in the Wimbledon final. She defeated Australian Ajla Tomljanovic 6-4, 7-6 7/4 in the match.

The in-form 17th seed defeated the 18-year-old Gauff 6-3, 6-4 in Tuesday's other quarterfinal, and the 28-year-old will now play Garcia in the championship match.

After a run that included a victory over Serena Williams in the third round—likely the 23-time Grand Slam champion's last singles match before retiring—Tomljanovic had advanced to the quarterfinals.

The aggressive fifth-seeded Jabeur, a Tunisian who attacked right on and never let up, put an end to the tenacious Australian who was born in Croatia.

Jabeur claimed that after making it to the Wimbledon final, where she was defeated by Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina in three sets, she had gained confidence.

Jabeur declared, "I have more self-confidence." After Wimbledon, things went extremely well. Even though I lost the final, I was certain that I could still complete a Grand Slam. I'm now in the US Open semifinals

Fans in Tunisia refer to Jabeur lovingly as the Minister of Happiness because of the happiness that her success on the court has given to her native country


Jabeur said that on Tuesday, when she repeatedly pounded her racquet in anger after giving up numerous service breaks in the second set, she had let her fury get the best of her.

She jokingly said, "I fear I'll lose my position as Minister of Happiness.

It's difficult for me to control my rage. I sincerely regret what I did. However, despite my best efforts, the racquet kept slipping from my grasp.


Tomljanovic acknowledged that a cunning foe had managed to outwit her.

According to Tomljanovic, it's quite difficult to know where to go when she's playing well. Simply blown away by her game.

After victories at the 2019 US Open and 2020 Australian Open, Jabeur enters her semi-final matchup against Garcia looking to continue an undefeated streak against the Frenchwoman.

Garcia defeated American hopeful Gauff in a decisive victory to get to her first Grand Slam semifinal of her career.

After a quarterfinal she nearly won from start to finish, Garcia commented, "My head is buzzing, I can't even put into words how I feel."

Garcia had just won the Cincinnati Masters when she came in New York, and Tuesday's triumph was her 13th consecutive singles triumph.

The 28-year-old claimed that upon her return to full fitness, she was thriving. Prior to the French Open in June, she took a two-month sabbatical from tennis to heal an ankle injury.

I've always played extremely aggressively, and in the past few months, I've started to feel healthy again, allowing me to move and practice like I want, according to Garcia.

Even when I'm under pressure or don't feel like taking my shots, I do it anyhow. Moving forward is the only way for me to get better, so I make an effort to do just that.

Gauff acknowledged that her season had been marred by disappointment but expressed joy for reaching her maiden US Open quarterfinal.

There is much to be proud of after reaching your first quarterfinal at the US Open. However, she was undoubtedly disappointed.

I believe it motivates me to work harder. I think I understand what needs to be done.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alvarez beats Golovkin by unanimous resolution to finish trilogy

wolves vs manchester city stars dazzle as city cruise to victory

Kourtney Kardashian hits again at fan asking about her being pregnant